Monday, September 8, 2014

Lemon Tea Thyme

What better way to start a new week than with a new recipe?  Yesterday when I was relaxing on my deck with an iced lemon tea, I also enjoyed a lemon thyme scone.


I have a teapot of thyme growing,

 
and I've been wanting to make a scone mixing herbs with lemons, and finally got around to it this weekend.
 

 
 
Lemon Thyme Scones
 

2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold salted butter
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons lemon zest
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract

Preheat oven to 350.
Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well.
Using a pastry blender, cut butter into mixture.  Add thyme and lemon zest, stirring to combine.  Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine cream, beaten egg, and lemon extract stirring well.  Add wet mixture to dry ingredients, stirring until dough forms.
Drop spoonfuls onto cookie sheet and bake for roughly 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted comes out dry.

 
Icing
 
While baking scones, combine lemon juice with confectioners sugar.  Add a little bit of heavy whipping cream (but only after having completely mixed the lemon juice with the sugar and making an icing).  Put icing on top of scones while they are still hot so it will melt and cover the scones.



2 comments:

  1. That sounds like such a nifty combination of flavors - and I have a ton of thyme in my herb garden. I think yours in your teapot planter is just TOO CUTE!

    Thanks for your recipe - I may just have to get baking soon with this recipe- did you love it? Would you make again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele! I would make it again--they were very good. Mine didn't have all that much of a thyme taste, but then my poor plant is small and I started feeling bad about taking its leaves, so I didn't use a full tablespoon in mine. It doesn't sound like you would have that problem! I hope you like them if you give it a try--please let me know!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment! I hope you have a wonderful day :)