“The walls were wet and sticky, and peach juice was dripping from the ceiling. James opened his mouth and caught some of it on his tongue. It tasted delicious.”
~Roald Dahl, James and the Giant Peach
Peaches are one of my favorite summer fruits (next to cherries, I pop them like candy as soon as the price goes down). After my Afternoon Tea in Paris, I had left over cream and cream cheese and a couple weeks old peach--the perfect combination for a scone recipe!
Peaches and Cream Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
heaping 1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 tablespoons cold, salted butter
1 1/2 cup diced peaches (one large peach)
4 oz cream cheese, diced
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking until blended. Using a pastry blender, cup butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Add cream cheese and peaches, tossing to combine.
4. In a small bowl, combine cream and vanilla extract. Add to flour mixture, stirring to combine. Worth through lightly with hands to bring together in bowl (If mixture seems dry, add more cream 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist).
5. Drop rounded scoops on sheet, and bake for approximately 15 minutes.