Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Eggnog & scones

So, one of the most important after Christmas questions--what to do with extra eggnog?  I have quite a bit still left from the tres leches & eggnog cupcakes (see here for more on that).  So, as a tea addict, when life hands you eggnog, make scones! 

 
I used a recipe from from Allrecipe (here) with some changes, so I will write it here.  This recipe is different than the norm-it has cornmeal in it, which gave it a really interesting texture.
 
 
Cranberry Eggnog Scones
 
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbls baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
6 tbls butter
3/4 cup craisins
3/4 cup eggnog
 
 
1.  Preheat oven to 375.  Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2.  Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg with a whisk.  Using a pastry blender, cut in butter.  Add craisins.
3.  Add eggnog and mix until just combined.  Using a spoon, drop large spoonfuls on cookie sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes.

 
 
 
 

Now, what tea should I have with these scones?  I recently bought Bigelow's Eggnogg'n tea, which I have never tried before (it was buy one get one free on the holiday teas).  I'm not sure whether I liked it or not.  The smell was not appealing, but it wasn't too bad with some cream.  I did not like it without the cream though.  It was definitely different.  

 
FPO
(picture from Bigelow's website)

1 comment:

  1. Cranberry and eggnog sounds like a good combo for scones! Happy New Year!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I hope you have a wonderful day :)