Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Orange Blossoms and Summer Berries

As I mentioned earlier this week, I had a snow day on Monday, so I decided it was a perfect day to experiment in the kitchen.  During my trip last week to Global Foods, I also picked up a bottle of orange blossom water in the middle eastern row:

Now, what to make with it?  I really enjoy making scones, especially when it is snowing outside.  Scones are so homey and are extra delicious with a cup of tea after shoveling in the cold.  I took my "scone base" recipe from my recipe box and added orange blossom water and summer berries--and it was delicious!  Definitely a keeper of a recipe.
 
 
 
Orange Blossoms and Berries Scones
 
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6 tablespoons cold butter (cut)
1 extra large egg
1 extra large egg yolk (reserve egg white)
1 cup heavy cream
2 tsp orange blossom water plus an additional 1/2 tsp, divided
1 six ounce package mixed dried berries (including cherries, strawberries, craisins, and blueberries)
 
Preheat oven to 400.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
 
1.  In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.
 
2.  Add entire package of berries, cutting the strawberries into smaller pieces.  Toss with the flour mixture.
 
3.  In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, egg and egg yolk, and orange blossom water.  Add wet mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
 
4.  Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet. 
 
5.  In the same bowl used to whisk wet mixture, add the reserved egg yolk and 1/2 tsp orange blossom water, stirring to combine.
 
6.  Coat the batter with the yolk and orange blossom water.
 
7.  Bake for 12 minutes, or until lightly browned.   
 
 
 I've been trying out recipes for a Spring tea and thought the Wedgewood Charnwood plate here matched the late Spring, early summer vibe of the scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I hope you have a wonderful day :)