Sunday, December 14, 2014

Sugar and Spice

Well, better late than never on finishing up my Kitchen posts. 

 
 
This is an open display cabinet in my kitchen which is the real home of the Christmas sweets teapot and the Spode Christmas tree teacup.  there is a shelf of gingerbread houses, underneath some assorted gingerbread people.  The bottom shelf has snowmen with a sweet tooth.
 
 
And even more gingerbread people.  Have I mentioned I have a hard time saying no to them?  I really liked how the ones in the picture below have glitter standing in for sanding sugar.  The basket in the background is a basket I won with all sorts of different sauces, sweet and not, and some ornaments.
 


 
Below is a new acquisition, a pitcher with a gingerbread girl on the front.  I found it at a local thrift store for $3, perfect! 
 
 
I bought this topiary at a local flower shop at an after Christmas sale a couple of years ago.  I'm really lucky, there are three different stores near where I live that transform into Winter wonderlands at Christmas time, with everything for sale, of course.
 
I promised the recipe for the pebbernodders from my tea party post last Monday, so here we go!  These cookies are a more adult spice cookie.
 
 
Pebbernodders
 
 
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp clove
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
3 eggs
2 tsp grated lemon peel
 
1.  Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in a medium bowl, mixed well.
 
2.  Beat sugar and butter in a large bowl until creamy.  Add eggs and lemon peel; beat until well blended.  Gradually add dry ingredients; mix until just blended.
 
3.  Put parchment paper on cookie sheets.  Put cookies on the sheet by the spoonful about 1 inch apart.  If the batter seems too sticky, but it in the fridge or the freezer until more firm (15 minutes or so).
 
4.  Preheat oven to 375.  Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.  Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.  





1 comment:

  1. I like your Gingerbread Display; the little pitcher is a great find. Always makes my heart sing to go thrifting and come home with a new treasure. Cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I hope you have a wonderful day :)