Sunday, December 13, 2015

Christmas Brunch--Peppermint white chocolate cupcakes

One last post to share a dessert recipe, then we'll leave my Christmas Brunch 2015.  These cupcakes seemed to be a success, so I would make them again.  The cupcakes have a bit of peppermint flavor and white chocolate baked into the cake itself (which was a little dry, I'm hoping it is just because they cooked a bit faster than I anticipated), but the white chocolate buttercream was wonderful!  The inspiration for these cupcakes was on this blog.

 
 
 

Peppermint White Chocolate Cupcakes
2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extra
1/4 teaspoon peppermint emulsion (or extract)
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup white chocolate chunks (use baking bar with real cocoa butter)
 
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare cupcake tins.
2.  In a medium bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3.  In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.  Add in eggs, one at a time, and mix until combined.  Beat in vanilla and peppermint flavoring.
4.  Add 1/3 of the flour mixture then the buttermilk, alternating beginning and ending with the flour, and beating well after each addition.
5.  Using a rubber spatula, fold in white chocolate.
4.  Pour into cupcake tins until paper cups are 3/4ths full.
5.  Bake for roughly 16 minutes for full sized cupcakes.
 
White Chocolate Buttercream
 
2 sticks butter, softened to room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extra
1/4 cup white chocolate melted (again use a baking bar with real cocoa butter)
 
1.  Whip butter until it becomes pale and creamy.
2.  Add rest of the ingredients and mix on low speed for 1 minute.  Increase speed to medium and mix for 6 minutes until frosting is light, creamy, and fluffy.
 
 
I just piped the buttercream on the cupcake with a large open star tip and then sprinkled on some crushed peppermint for a little extra peppermint kick.
 

 



5 comments:

  1. The cupcakes sound delicious, Carrie, and the tiered stand is absolutely adorable!
    I checked out your brunch menu and oh, does it ever sound fabulous. Wish I could've been a guest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love the combo of chocolate and peppermint. One of my favourite peppermint treats during the holiday season is candy cane chocolate fudge crackle ice cream. And yes, I'll eat ice cream even when the temperatures are wayyyy below freezing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look adorable! I noticed there's no butter or oil in your cake recipe, could be why they turned out a bit dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! Looking again today, I do see that there's butter in the recipe. Try adding a couple tablespoons of oil.

      Delete
    2. Hi Miss Jane! Thanks for the advice on the cupcakes...I'll have to keep that in mind for the future too when a cake turns out a bit dry and I do a test batch. I can follow a recipe and change it somewhat, but I'm not always so good when it doesn't go to plan with figuring out how to fix it!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment! I hope you have a wonderful day :)