Carrot Cake Scones
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1 stick butter
1 cup grated carrot
3/4 cup walnuts
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 400. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and spices. Whisk together.
3. Cut in butter with pastry blender.
4. Add carrots (tossing to cover), walnuts, and raisins.
5. Combine egg, buttermilk, and vanilla in a small bowl.
6. Add wet ingredients to dry, mixing until combined (batter will be wet).
7. Drop round spoonfuls onto prepared tray. I covered with a bit of orange sugar for fun. Bake for about 15 minutes.
I was very happy with the way this recipe turned out. I started with a cake recipe and "scone-ified" it. To get the triangles I have above, shape the dough into a long log and freeze it. When ready to serve, defrost the log slightly (really until you get to the point you can cut it) and then slice at a slant to make small triangles. This is actually how I do all my scones for parties since it is easier to just slice and bake on the day of the party.
Carrots are divine...You get a dozen for a dime, it's maaaa-gic! ~Bugs Bunny