Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Poppies and sunflowers

August's flower of the month is the poppy, which, in keeping with my "flowers of the month" theme this year, is the inspiration for this week's tea party.

Through dancing poppies stole
a breeze most solfly lulling to my soul
~John Keats

The beautiful embroidered runner is a gift from my mother.


I set the table with my two sets of red china:

(Rosenthal)

(Royal Albert's Lady Hamilton)

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow.  It's what sunflowers do. 
~Helen Keller


With pretty yellow sunflowers and poppies as the theme, what else could I serve at this little tea party then lemon poppy seed scones?


Lastly, I placed my one Sadler teapot on the table:



Poppies have also been the flower of death, life, and remembrance since World War I and the poem, "In Flanders Fields" by Canadian officer Col. John McCrae:  "In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row..."



Summer sorrows
The sunflower raises its head
as spots of sunshine fall
on mouths eager to be fed,
standing tall,
above all.

But golden beauty pales
next to wild fields of red,
where man's travails
once bled,
upon the flowers' bed.

Yet blooms once crushed
return anew,
shyly awakening brushed
 with morning dew,
tears overdue.


And on that solemn note, I am joining these tea parties this week:

Bernideen's Friends Sharing Tea 
Rose Chintz Cottage's Tea Time Tuesday

4 comments:

  1. Your mom is so sweet to gift you with the pretty runner, Carrie. Both sets of China are so beautiful on your table, and lemon poppy seed scones are the perfect treat to serve.
    Yes, the poem is a sorrowful one, yet beautiful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your table! I am familiar with the linens as I sold many during the years. Your Sadler teapot is a design I have not seen and is so sweet as well as all your teaset pieces! Hope you summer is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tea!

    I've always associated poppies with Remembrance Day and every year, "In Flanders Field" is recited at the Nov. 11th memorials.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I hope you have a wonderful day :)