Monday, August 24, 2015

Tea in the Plains

For our August meeting, the tea meet-up group I joined met in the Plains, Virginia at Crest Hill Antiques and Tea Room for a lovely afternoon tea.


The Plains is roughly 25 minutes down the highway from my house, so it was a pretty nice drive out into the country--as The Plains is known for being in horse country.  Every year there are steeplechase races in the town.  Here is a cute sign that might help you place where it is:


As you may be able to guess from the name, the tea room is also an antique store, and had some lovely displays as we walked into the front parlor.




Passing through the parlor towards this pretty nook,


and around the corner, the tea room itself comes into view.



Pretty mismatched tea cups greeted us at each place setting, along with a tray full of tea sniffer jars.


Below is the tea room's large list of custom blends from local blender, Tea for All Reasons.


I have a few of Tea for All Reasons blends, and have enjoyed them all--so I was exited to see this generous menu.

Since I was in the Crest Hill tearoom, it seemed appropriate to get the tea named for them:  a blend of black tea with blueberries and lilac blossoms.  I also have never had lilac scented tea before!


This tea was delicious and light and definitely blueberry.  I didn't really notice anything I would associate with lilac, but then, I have never drank lilac before!  I did almost wish I needed cream with it (it was perfect with just a little sweetener) just so I could use this cute creamer:



Tea was served in individual pots--each with a cute tea cozy to make sure it wouldn't get cold. 



And the tea room came around a couple of times with hot water to top off the loose leaves in the pot.  And of course we each got strainers.


Others at the table ordered lunch (which they also serve), but I figured when in a tea room...


(assorted fruit on the top, middle tier has tea sandwiches:  ham and mustard, cheddar, and cucumber and cream cheese with dill.  Not pictured, the desserts on the bottom tier--three cookies and a carrot tea cake with pineapple)

Of course the tiered tray also came with a scone:  apricots and cream. 


Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the desserts served with my tea, but I did get a picture of the assorted dessert tray ordered by two other ladies at the tea (one of which was kind enough to take the picture, so you also get a different view!).  They really enjoyed them (and they sure do look good, don't they?)

(starting at the top:  éclairs, blueberry flavored cream puffs, cheesecake bites, spiced cakes, brownie bites, rugelach (I think it was raspberry), and unfortunately, I don't remember the last)

After this delightful tea, I walked the little town for a bit, passing some really cute stores:








Definitely an enjoyable afternoon, especially since I got to meet other tea lovers!  Speaking of tea lovers, I am joining a wonderful group of ladies at the below tea parties:

Bernideen's Friends Sharing Tea 
Rose Chintz Cottage's Tea Time Tuesday

4 comments:

  1. Oh Carrie, what a delightful tea room you visited. I so enjoyed taking a peek inside and seeing the tea flavors and the wonderful food. The town looks so charming and would be a place that I'd love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that I was part of your tea meet-up group or had a similar group in my neck of the woods. A tea room in an antique-filled house that serves delicious food on beautiful dishes is my ideal tea room!

    I also love exploring quaint small towns.Earlier this month, a 3-year film ban was launched in my community which would have affected series such as The Good Witch. This caused quite such an uproar among the locals and film industry that the ban was lifted with limitations. Phew! Last week, I spotted a film crew around the "Grey House" so looks like The Good Witch has resumed their shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love tea rooms. I wish we had more here. This one is lovely and what fun to see all the china teacups and teapots. The food looks wonderful; especially the stand of sweets. Would love to try the apricots and cream scone. :) Thanks for sharing and have a lovely weekend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to be a part of a tea meetup group! I belong to one but the events tend to sell out quickly so I haven't attended a meeting/tea time. This certainly looks like a nice tea room where you can relax and chat. That apricot scone looks delicious and I like how each teapot has its own cozy. I always want to try a new tea when I visit a tearoom. The Auntie's pumpkin pie tea would get my vote. (Work is just beginning to calm down so I hope to visit more often.) ~Nora

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I hope you have a wonderful day :)