Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Snow days and maple apple butter scones

I've been off work for the past two days because of last weekend's blizzard, so I've been doing some boredom baking (always a dangerous thing).  After making my ill gotten goods, I decided to take tea outside (despite the snow it is in the upper 40s today) since I'm getting a bit of cabin fever,

 
and it is so pretty looking out into the woods.

 
The swing set might be a bit buried so I don't think we'll be heading there, but my deck is clear right near my wicker set.
 


 
A cup of Charleston plantation peach tea fills the small transferware teapot I bought during a trip to Savannah, Georgia--both tea and pot from the same 2014 summer trip. 
 
 
These scones are the real star of this post.  My street is not completely cleared, so I was stuck here and limited to what was in my larder...thus experimentation was in order!  I was quite happy with how these scones turned out.
 
 
I combined apple butter, maple syrup, and cream cheese to make these sweet, moist, and yet biscuit like scones. These ingredients were "extras" I just so happened to still have in my fridge from the December parties.  I'm normally all about the cream scone, which is this not, so I also am getting outside my comfort area.    
 
 



Maple Apple Butter Scones
 
2 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar*
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom
1 stick butter
4 oz cream cheese
2/3 cup apple butter**
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
 
1.  Preheat oven to 425.  
2.  Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl, whisking to combine. 
3.  Cut in butter with a pastry blender.  Cut in slightly softened cream cheese.
4.  Combine apply butter, maple syrup, egg, and vanilla in a small bowl.  Pour over dry ingredients.  Mix until just combined.
5.  Drop spoonfuls onto parchment paper covered cookie sheet.  Cook for 12 to 14 minutes (or so).
 
*If you prefer your scones to not be slightly extra sweet, I would reduce the sugar in the recipe to 1/4. 
**I used a somewhat local brand of apple butter--White House Apple Butter made in Winchester, Virginia, which worked very well in this recipe.

 
 
Thanks for joining me for tea!  
 


1 comment:

  1. Hooray for snow days! The first two images reminded me of the poem, "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening". Your blue transferware teapot is very pretty. Looks like your experimental scones were a success. Yummy!

    Thank you for the visits, Carrie. Your comments cracked me up. Lucky us that we grew up in such a fun decade!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I hope you have a wonderful day :)