Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Queen of hearts desserts

The desserts for my queen of hearts tea were super easy.

(I really liked my black and white tiered teacup tray for this party!)

The "unbirthday" cake cupcakes I decorated with "painting the roses red" icing.  Its super easy to get the striped look--I just take a chopstick and put some food coloring on the tip, put it on one side of the icing once it is already in the bag (or in my case, my Wilton's cheating decorating pump thing) then pull it out, dragging the coloring.



The white cake recipe is a cheat that I found on the internet (at Recipe Girl, here) that uses a white box cake as its base.  I've used it a couple times and it is always super moist.  It calls for vanilla extract, but adding almond and/or orange would also work well. I think I added a bit of almond to this batch with the vanilla. 


Next up are the "knaves of hearts" chocolate dessert which were also super easy.  I made a boxed brownie, cut out hearts with a slightly smaller heart cookie cutter.  I spread some Nutella on one heart and topped it with another.  A quick batch of ganache (good quality chocolate I melted in my chocolate melting pot and added a bit of heavy cream) spooned on top and let cool, and there we go!  I did keep these in the fridge.

The "stolen tarts" are a simple shortbread/butter cookie recipe I've used several times that works well with a cutter (from Allrecipes here).  This is a great go to cookie cutter recipe.  Before cooking, I pressed my thumb in the cookie to make an indent, added jam, and done!  

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so this made me hungry. :-P.

    Of course, everything was wonderful. If I had to pick a favorite, it was probably the shortbread cookies. Or maybe the chocolatey things. I wish I lived closer to you so that I could "innocently" drop by when you bake things, LOL.

    Hope we can all have another get-together SOMETIME in the not forever-distant future!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I hope you have a wonderful day :)