Monday, December 29, 2014

We'll Take a Cup of Kindness Yet

For this last tea party of the year, I have a bit of mood music:


This version of Auld Lang Syne sounds of sad yet hopeful reflections as we "take a cup of kindness yet" and look back on the year as the last few days of 2014 pass by.  My cup of memories I've placed under my silver tree--a winter wonderland to bring to mind what is to come, but filled with ornaments as reminders of years past. 







Here is a better look at the tea service, which was a Christmas gift from my parents:



The creamer really drew me in--I love the wavy top!  I haven't seen anything like it before.


As you can see, the set has lots of gold embellishment as well as multi-colored flowers.  I purchased the tea trio earlier this year and was really excited to see the whole set while I was at the Biltmore in November.


This set is based on a Vanderbilt tea service dating to 1888--pieces from the original set are on display in the house as well as in the museum on the  Biltmore grounds.  The Biltmore offers a reproduction of the set for sale in its gift shops.


(the original set)

(I saved this beverage napkin with the Vanderbilt insignia on it from the trip)


I can just imagine the "real" cups being used by ladies in beautiful dresses at the turn of the century, with candlelight reflecting off the cup--one last warm brew before the end of the year.



Here are a couple of other pictures of the decorations that are also in my loft (the same room as the winter wonderland tree).



And there’s a hand my trusty friend!
And give me a hand o’ thine!
And we’ll take a right good-will draught,
for auld lang syne.

~Robert Burns, Auld Lang Syne

I'm joining these tea parties this week:

Bernideen's Friends Sharing Tea




I downloaded a free watercolor app to my Kindle (arto.free if you are interested) after seeing the beautiful pictures posted on Tea With Friends (although she used a different app, I went with this one because I have a Kindle and it was free).  I think it turned out really cool! 


12 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! And what a lovely gift too! I love blue so especially love your wonderful decorations! The china is gorgeous indeed! Happy New Year and thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Carrie, everything here is so gorgeous! Your blue and silver tree looks so elegant, and that tea set is stunning. What a wonderful gift from your parents. I visited the Biltmore a couple years ago, isn't it beautiful?
    So nice to get to know you this year; I'm looking forward to sharing more lovely tea parties in 2015. xo Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tree is stunning, as is the wonderful tea set! I also love that peacock coloured wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice to have a set with memories of a lovely trip. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the most stunning tea set! I love the handle on the tea cup. I imagine the set looks even fancier close up. Thank you for sharing that beautiful table. Have a wonderful New Year! Hugs, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a stunning tea set, Carrie! I don't blame you for loving it. A lovely set to remind you of your trip. Your tree is gorgeous and I like the peacock wreath. My mother always liked peacocks too and used to put them on her tree. Thank you for sharing and joining me for tea. I wish you and your family a Happy and Healthy New Year.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Carrie,
    Your blue tree is so lovely! Wow! And your new tea service is very beautiful! I have the tea cup from the Biltmore too : ) I love it as well.
    Wishing you all the best in 2015!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty blue and white theme Carrie, and I like the unique wavy top of your creamer too.
    Peacocks and their feathers were available in many stores for Christmas decor this year, they look nice.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful......I love your new tea set and the tree is beautiful too!
    Love the reindeer in the photos too.
    Happy New Year!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tree is so pretty, Carrie! I love the tea set from your sweet parents. What a lovely gift that is perfect for you.
    Happy New Year's blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I'm blown away by that set. Love that shared about the Biltmore too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I hope you have a wonderful day :)