Thursday, October 30, 2014

Savories for a Wicked Tea

The tea started with a pumpkin soup, which I first tried here.  I used the recipe in the September/October issue of TeaTime Magazine.

Now onto the savories!


First are the pimento cheese with bat wings.  I used the same recipe that my aunt used for her cheddar pinwheels, which turned out perfectly.  I liked this recipe better than the Paula Deen one with cream cheese--this one just has mayo (with a dash of Worchester sauce).  I used a bat cookie cutter (from Homegoods!) to make the shape.

 
Next the spider deviled eggs:
 
(this picture was from the "leftover" party I served to my parents to help me eat up the leftovers)
 
I made my normal deviled eggs (mashed egg yolk with mayo, sweet pickle, a dash of yellow mustard, and salt and pepper to taste) and topped them with paprika for a little extra color.  I then used canned medium black olives (pitted) to make the spiders.  I cut the larger olives in the can in half and placed in the middle of the egg.  The slightly smaller olives I cut in half, and then I sliced them thin in order to make the legs for the eight legged creatures.
 


 I also served "wicked cucumber" which is a Benedictine cucumber sandwich.

(I found the witch hat pick at the dollar store and picked up a pack--I knew I would use it for something in the party)
 
This time I used a recipe from Allrecipes, slightly modified.  I'll copy it here as I made it:
 
Benedictine Spread
 
1 large cucumber, chopped finely (I used my chopper)
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion

 1 8 oz container cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon dill
4 drops green dye (to make it extra green for this Halloween tea)

Place cucumber and onion in paper towel and squeeze to remove water.
Using a mixer, combine softened cream cheese with cucumber, onion, and dill.  Mix until combined.  Add dye, mixing until color you desire.

Now onto my favorite sandwich for this tea--a pumpkin shaped pie.

 I found the recipe for this pie (that uses refrigerated pie crust, by the way and a pumpkin cookie cutter), on Woman's Day Magazine's cite here.   I just used a knife to cut out triangles for the eyes and nose and cut a slit in the shape of a smile for the mouth.

1 comment:

  1. What a great tablescape and Tea for Halloween!! Love it!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I hope you have a wonderful day :)