Sunday, August 16, 2020

To Limerick

 So begins our next vacation!  For August we are traveling back to Ireland on a trip I took in April of 2017!  This was another trip with Globus I took with Katherine, a friend from college.  This trip had an...interesting...start.  

We had a 45 minute layover in Newark, which ended up being a bad idea.  We were ahead of schedule at Dulles Airport, but ended up just hanging out on the tarmac for a half hour or so.  Unsurprisingly, we didn't make it.  After a couple hour wait, we were on a plane to Heathrow (and actually scored extra leg room!).  We had like a 5 hour layover in Heathrow though, so didn't get to Shannon Airport until way late--so much for time to see Limerick!  We went through the transfers line for border check and came out not sure what was going on with or bags.  Luckily the customer service desks were right were we came out.  We went up to check and Katherine had been kicked off the flight.  Good thing we went up there because the representative put her back on the plane and checked on her bag. We also missed our free transfer, which was a bummer, but we did catch the last cab (a Mercedes!) hanging out in front of the airport, so at least we were finally there! 



As soon as we got to our hotel our tour guide greeted us in the lobby and told us that the tour dinner was just starting.  We ran up to our room to drop off our bags (which did make it to Ireland--we were a bit worried about that), then it was time to eat!




After dinner we headed out to see a tiny bit of Limerick.

 

We headed out to see King John's castle,


passing St. Mary's Cathedral along the way.








Pretty soon we had to head back, tomorrow we really start our Irish adventure!



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sheesh, I'd totally repressed most of the giant cluster that was the beginning of this trip, haha. But everything's coming back to me now, though. :-P. It was especially fun that the gate for our flight to Limerick had been moved basically RIGHT NEXT TO our arrival gate in Newark, and so we definitely would have had plenty time to make the absurdly short connection if we had just been able to get. off. the. stupid. plane. I also love how, when we arrived in Heathrow, I was all, "I'm sure the bags will be fiiiiiiiiiiine!!" Thank goodness you are more responsible than I am and insisted on verification, LOL. And then, with that disaster averted, I promptly fell asleep for several hours in the lounge area. What a good friend! We did get complimentary Cadbury eggs, though! I always remember free chocolate!

      This was the first of many extremely potato-intensive dinners, LOL.

      I'm SOOOOOOOO super-excited to have another vacation to relive while stuck on my couch! I'm sorry that I accidentally slacked off in my obsessive stalking of your blog-- it's been a weird couple of weeks. :-P.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment! I hope you have a wonderful day :)