Thursday, August 28, 2014

Southern Tea Desserts

So far this week I've shared more on the savories and the tea for the dessert course--so that leaves scones and my personal favorite, dessert.

The scones I've featured previously on the blog, cinnamon praline scones, and strawberries and cream scones.  Now on to dessert!

 
The peach pies I featured earlier on the blog here.  If you've been following my posts, now you know why I kept searching for different peach pie recipes!  As I mentioned in the linked post, these pies don't last overnight.  I ended up baking them the morning of the party and they worked fine--but it definitely put me behind schedule!  I always underestimate how long things like these take to bake--it is a whole half hour for a batch, so definitely keep that in mind for planning purposes.
 

The next dessert is the hummingbird cupcakes.  I found the mini-cupcake tulip looking cups at Walmart and the pretty tulip picks at Michaels in the cheap bins near the registers.  Actually, I found all sorts of cool things at Michaels for the tea--but more on that another day :).  The recipe for these cupcakes is below the picture. 


Hummingbird Cupcakes
 
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup whole buttermilk
1 cups mashed banana
1 cups finely chopped pecans
4 oz canned crushed pineapple, well drained
 
1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Put baking cups in mini-cupcake tin.
2.  In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, and vanilla.  beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3.  In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.  Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.  Gently stir in bananas, pecans, and pineapple. 
4.  Spoon batter into cups.  Bake 18 minutes for mini-cupcakes.
 
Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting
 
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
4 cups confectioner sugar
 
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.  Gradually beat in confectioner's sugar until smooth.
 
I used a Wilton Large French tip to decorate the cupcakes.  This was my first time trying it with a zip lock bag.  I was not a fan.  I prefer using the disposable Wilton bags.
 
 
 



1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Nice decorating job on the cupcakes. I have a box of the disposable plastic decorating bags but they're not big enough to hold much icing. I bought one of the humongous reusable bags at Michaels (40% coupon) and love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I hope you have a wonderful day :)